Saturday, July 24, 2010

ENTRIES M & N


  • Noun Soft Sculpture

I really liked this project because we were assigned our sculpture ideas randomly from other people. I drew a hairbrush which not only do I not use, but I don't even own. It was fun to make one out of newspaper, but I would have liked to have done some sculpture out of something more pliable. I spent most of the time fashioning tube like bristles of the brush by rolling up newspaper. I thought that the bristles would be the most important part of the brush.
( I would have loved to include a photo of my hairbrush sculpture but sadly it was demolished by my children immediately when I arrived home).

  • Environmental Art

The sculpture project that I really enjoyed was the nature sculpture. My group went to the river and build a strange looking tepee out of wood and willow branches. We were inspired by the native American music that was playing at the park across the river.

Integration

  • Sculpture is a great art form for kids because it gives them a glimpse of physics. The structures they build have to be able to support themselves.
  • Instead of having the children select someone else's idea for their sculpture, you could have the students select an object from the civilization they are studying.
  • Early learners could be instructed to sculpt freestanding letters of the alphabet
  • In a sculpture like the one I built in the river, students could be taught about the natural strength of the materials they are using.
  • After completing the sculptures, students could be instructed to write about them and describe them.


No comments:

Post a Comment