Saturday, July 24, 2010

ENTRY T




Batik Art Project

I was not enthusiastic about this art project at first but when I was shown the process my interest was peaked. The batiks that I have seen before were a series of patterns and colors which did not interest me very much. Once the paraffin began to smoke I became excited though. I tend to lean toward landscapes and bigger pictures in my artwork so I was planning on doing that with this one as well. I didn't realize how big the picture would become though. I didn't like the idea of using the tools provided because it felt in a way like I would be borrowing the craftsmanship of another person and using their art to create mine. I decided to put my hand in the wax and begin my scenery with that. It didn't look very good because the wax stuck to my hand more than the cloth but it didn't much seem to matter because a Friend of min accidentally dumped a bunch of wax in the corner of my project. Then she suggested that I just make a map and then the light came on. What an awesome idea. I have made no secret of the fact that I am not going to become a teacher some day. I took this class because I am a father and I wanted to come and learn some art methods to share them with my young children. It doesn't take much to realize that art in primary schools isn't an area of heavy focus.

I decided to make a pirates map. My kids have really enjoyed geocaching ever since I told them that it was pirates treasure we were looking for. When I brought the map home my son was extremely excited. My kids all thought for some reason that we were actually going to go and find the treasure at the location I made up.

Process
  • Wax saturation- using TJAP tools or other means put images on the cloth
  • Vat Dye
  • Dry outside
  • Completely cover with wax
  • Run under water
  • Rit Dye
  • Iron out wax
Integration
  • My experience led to an obvious integration in geography
  • Students could make maps to learn about other portions of the globe
  • The history of batiking would make a very valuable lesson
  • You can write with wax and also about the experience and process involved
  • Students could make rain Forrest batiks for their life science classes

No comments:

Post a Comment